Preventive Health Centre
Singapore Chung Hwa Medical Institution (Yishun) Preventive Care Centre was officially opened in 2019 with the aim of promoting and advocating the TCM idea of ‘Prevention is better than cure’ through a variety of TCM specialty treatments that cater to the needs of different body constitutions.
Concept of Preventive Health
Some 2000 years ago, the idea of “Prevention is better than cure” has been recorded in one of the most ancient TCM books – The Yellow Emperor’s Classic of Internal Medicine. Adapted from a verse from the classic: ‘For the sage do not cure those who are already plaque by illnesses, but those who have yet to show any symptoms; Do not try to restore order when disorder had already happened but before it happens.’
When the sage treats, they do it before the symptoms are completely reflected on a person, which emphasizes prevention rather than treatment. If we were to only start actively seeking treatment when the illness has been fully developed, that is equivalent to digging a well when you are thirsty. Isn’t that a little too late?
In our current society, the immense work stress and fast-paced life are major causes of people overlooking their mental and physical health, resulting in sub-health conditions, which may continue to develop into illnesses. Hence, early prevention and treatment are the keys to better health. As more and more diseases and illnesses are starting to affect even the younger population, it is important that we make use of TCM to maintain our health!
The 9 types of TCM Body Constitutions
In a book written by Professor Wang Qi from the Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, he introduces the concept of body constitutions, the prevention and treatment of related illnesses according to the different types of body constitutions as well as their respective health management.
There are nine types of body constitutions – Balanced, Qi-deficient, Yin-deficient, Yang-deficient, Phlegm-dampness, Heat-dampness, Blood Stasis, Qi-stagnation, and Inherited special constitution. Different body constitutions have their own unique body physique, physiological, and psychological characteristics, pathologic reaction, and predisposition. Therefore, through understanding our body constitution, we can then find the most suitable and appropriate treatment and health management methods to achieve a better curative effect and maintain good health.
SCHMI Preventive Health Centre Services
Combining the central idea of ‘Prevention is better than cure’ and the TCM body constitutions, SCHMI Preventive Health Centre is offering a range of TCM specialty treatments as listed below:
Body Constitution Analysis
Body Constitution Questionnaire
- By answering a series of questions, we can help you to analyze and identify your body constitution
Tongue analysis device
- Combining TCM tongue analysis and state-of-the-art technology to analyze your tongue, providing a more scientific and objective diagnosis.
Specialty treatments and health management services
- Involves the insertion of fine acupuncture needles into different acupoints to elicit a healing response and to build greater immunity.
- Use of heat to create a vacuum in glass or bamboo cups, which are then cupped onto the skin at corresponding acupoints or targeted treatment areas. The suction of the cups on the skin helps to improve blood circulation and remove excessive dampness from the body.
Herbal Medication prescription
- Herbal medication prescriptions that are specially tailored to suit your body constitution and other individual needs. Herbal medications can also help to balance body yin-yang and boost the immune system.
- According to TCM theories, the ear is seen as a microcosm of the entire human body. There are many auricular points around the outer ear and auricle, hence by stimulating these auricular points, we can also achieve curative effects and enhance body functions.
- There is an abundance of acupoints located on the soles of our feet, and these points are interconnected with the different zang-fu (TCM organs and viscera) via meridians. Herbal medicated footbaths help to regulate the Qi of zang-fu through stimulation of the acupuncture points on our feet. It also helps to improve blood circulation and regulate Qi, allowing the body to achieve greater yin-yang balance.
- Our professional physicians will introduce and recommend suitable health management plans, such as diet, herbal tea, exercises, and acupoints massage that are specific to your body constitution.
Live Healthily, Live Happily!
TCM Preventive Medicine Clinic Physicians:
|GOH TONG HWEE
|ONG PUAY SAN
|CHEW SIO PENG
|KOH BOON KHAI
|LEE WEN LIANG
|LOOI MAI LENG
|LIM NOI SIM
|TEO TAT KHAI